As we head towards the European Parliament elections in 2019, healthcare systems and citizens across Europe are facing unprecedented challenges driven by an ageing population, and increased prevalence of chronic diseases.
Research shows that 550,000 people of working age die from Non-Communicable Diseases in the EU every year. Aside from the significant impact on individual patients, their families and carers, this causes a largely avoidable loss to the EU economy of €115 billion per year, corresponding to 0.8% of GDP.
At the same time, 70% of EU citizens would like the European Union to intervene more on health.
Ensuring that all European citizens can live healthier lives must be a priority for the next legislative mandate. In order to discuss how Europe could lead the way in combatting these challenges and championing positive developments, 28 organisations from within and across the health community have come together to organise a multi-stakeholder EU Health Summit.
As we map the future of healthcare in Europe, the summit will examine the role of the European Union in helping European health systems to make the most of these opportunities for the benefit of citizens and patients, while following a sustainable path. Through this summit, the partners aim to distil recommendations for the next European Commission and European Parliament to bring the necessary changes about.
The summit will take place on 29 November at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Brussels. For more information, please visit our website: www.euhealthsummit.eu.
 Health at a Glance: Europe 2016, OECD
 Eurobarometer of the European Parliament (87.1)
- Active Citizenship Network (ACN)
- Alliance for Biomedical Research in Europe (BioMed Alliance)
- Biobanking and BioMolecular resources Research Infrastructure (BBMRI-ERIC)
- European Coordination Committee of the Radiological, Electromedical and Healthcare IT Industry (COCIR)
- Digestive Cancers Europe (DICE)
- The Digital Health Society (DHS)
- European Association for the Study of Obesity (EASO)
- European Brain Council (EBC)
- European Connected Health Alliance (ECHAlliance)
- European Cancer Patient Coalition (ECPC)
- European Fine Chemicals Group (EFCG)
- European Federation of Internal Medicine (EFIM)
- European Federation of Neurological Associations (EFNA)
- European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA)
- European Men’s Health Forum (EMHF)
- European Multiple Sclerosis Platform (EMSP)
- European Patients’ Forum (EPF)
- European Confederation of Pharmaceutical Entrepreneurs (EUCOPE)
- European Regional and Local Health Authorities (EUREGHA)
- Europabio – The European Association for Bioindustries
- EURORDIS – Rare Diseases Europe
- European Federation of National Organisations Working with the Homeless (FEANTSA)
- European Healthcare Distribution Association (GIRP)
- International Diabetes Federation Europe (IDFE)
- European Federation of Internal Medicine (IPOPI)
- MedTech Europe
- European Union of Private Hospitals (UEHP)
- Youth Cancer Europe (YCE)