This module has been developed in partnership with the Women’s Brain Project.
Presenter: Maria Teresa Ferretti, Co-founder and CSO, Women’s Brain Project
Duration: 40 mins total
This module is designed as a general and engaging introduction to the topic of precision medicine (PM) and its relevance for neurological patients. Participants will learn:
- What precision medicine is with easy, case-studies examples from different disciplines.
- Why we need precision medicine in neurology
- What precision medicine means from a patient point of view (in the context of a patient-centric approach).
The following topics will be covered during this e-learning module:
- What is precision medicine? An example from oncology
- ‘Not all patients are equal’ – From shallow medicine to PM
- How about brain disorders? – The example of dementia
- The example of Parkinson: precision medicine and personalised healthcare
- Precision medicine and me – the patient perspective
When you have finished all sections of the module be sure to take the associated quiz and obtain your certificate of completion!
About precision medicine and sex/gender differences:
- Video - (Fighting Alzheimer with Precision Medicine) Contrastare l'Alzheimer con la Medicina di Precisione | Maria Teresa Ferretti | TEDxTreviso (with English subtitles): https://youtu.be/9nWpkv0o55U
- Video - Antonella Santuccione Chadha·TEDxPadova - The new frontier of medicine is precision.: https://www.ted.com/talks/antonella_santuccione_chadha_the_new_frontier_of_medicine_is_precision
- Academic book – Sex and gender differences in Alzheimer’s Disease https://www.elsevier.com/books/sex-and-gender-differences-in-alzheimers-disease/ferretti/978-0-12-819344-0
- Lay public Book (in Italian) – Una Bambina Senza Testa, https://www.edizionimondonuovo.com/collane/i-fuori-collana/una-bambina-senza-testa/
- Article BBC: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20180705-why-dementia-and-alzheimers-affect-women-more-than-men
What you can do to reduce risk of brain disorders:
- The Be Brain Powerful campaign: https://www.womensbrainproject.com/be-brain-powerful-switzerland/
- Video by WBP CEO’s Antonella Santuccione Chadha: https://youtu.be/hP6tqiPKKts
- Explanatory video: https://youtu.be/r7qWTNN74cY